Friday, January 15, 2010

Realistic to Non-Objective Art

What is abstract art? That is what I am asking 5th grade to think about with our current project. Abstract art can be difficult to understand or accept, especially when I go to the art museum with my family. I always hear "I can do that" or "this isn't art" as I travel through the galleries during our visit. It takes very little to understand a lot. The first thing you need to do, and this is what I tell my students, is learn about what you are looking at. Ask questions and think about what the artist is trying to communicate. Only then will the magic begin. One way to help understand abstract art is to classify the difference in style from work that is realistic. Classifying the stylistic qualities helps students apply ideas in the process of creating their own work. Challenge yourself and take the Realistic to Non-objective Quiz online to strengthen your understanding of the stylistic qualities of abstract art.

No comments:

Post a Comment